Thursday, October 21, 2010

Nursery Ideas

So I know it's still probably too early to be excited and thinking about these things-- but I've thrown caution straight out the window.  This thing is HAPPENING.  And kiddo, you're gonna need a room.  So, luckily for you, you've come to the right house.  You WILL have the most fabulous room in the house.  I promise you this!

Clearly, I have no clue whether or not you'll be a boy or a girl, but it matters not.  I have pretty traditional design taste, and generally for a nursery that doesn't include lots of baby-esque bright and primary colors.  When I think of you and the place where you'll be spending lots of your first days on the planet, I want it to be a soft and comfortable and peaceful and wonderful place.  So here we go.  This is what I'm thinking.

Let's put crown moulding on the walls and paint the bottom half a dark khaki color.  This is going to provide a nice contrast to your white crib and furniture.  Lets put soft light in the room-- low wattage bulbs with dimmers and lots of lamp light.  Then let's let the color in the room come from all the art on the walls-- lots of vintage illustrations of fairy tales and children's books.  I'll probably put your initials, CMC, on the wall somewhere, just so you can start learning your letters early.  Because, dear, you WILL be reading entire books before you start kindergarten.  Trust this.  Besides making sure you're healthy and happy, learning how to read and write as early as possible is a main goal for you!  What we do when you're little will set you up for the rest of your life!  So I promise not to slack on my end!

Anywho, back to your nursery.  The little touches like drapes and throw pillows will come later once I find out if you're going to be a boy or girl.  If you're a boy, I'll do a heavy solid color drape, something with a lot of texture in the fabric.  If you're a girl, I'm going to do a wonderful, subtle shabby chic floral to romance-up your room.  It'll go perfect with the fairy tales on the walls. 

So that's that.  Who's to say a pregnant lady won't abruptly change her mind and paint the whole thing a wonderful shade of ice blue?  But for now, this is the plan.